Obtaining or Changing Advisors

Every TCU student will be assigned an ACADEMIC ADVISOR who will assist in assessing career possibilities, planning academic programs, scheduling classes, and handling any other academic questions that may develop.  Academic advisors are usually faculty members in the students' major department; however, students in certain programs, such as Nursing, Business, and Athletics are advised by full-time professional advisors.  Freshmen in the AddRan College of Liberal Arts, freshmen Design, Merchandising, and Textiles majors, and pre-majors (undecided students) are advised by full-time professional advisors in the Center for Academic Services (Sadler Hall, Room 1022).

New freshmen and new transfer students:  You will be assigned an advisor within the first month of your first semester.  To find out who your academic advisor is, sign into http://my.tcu.edu and go to ACADEMIC PROGRESS.  Your advisor's name will be posted there under ADVISORS. If you change your major, you will receive a new advisor in your new major department.

Sometimes students are not able to work with their assigned advisor due to scheduling problems or other reasons.  If this occurs, consult with the chair of your major department, or if you are a freshman in the AddRan College of Liberal Arts, a freshman Design, Merchandising, and Textiles major, or a pre-major (undecided student), consult the Center for Academic Services.

Advisors can open many doors for students.  You should meet with your academic advisor early in your academic career and continue to meet with him/her often so that you can enhance your academic experiences.

For more information, contact:
Center for Academic Services
Sadler Hall 1022
(817) 257-7486

{ Related Links }


Advising Checklist


Who is my advisor?


TCU Majors/Minors


How to Declare Your Major/Minor




Campus Resources






Full Calendar